In search for the TRUTH:
To our mind the novel figure Bolitho Blane is based on a real identity. Therefore we have been tracking his personality for years now. We looked through innumerable documents, examined photo albums, did some research in communities and parishes, and asked some dozen people in quest of witnesses. All this brought us to the conclusion: documents have disappeared, traces have been wiped out - alltogether it looks like someone tried to erase the identity of Bolitho Blane. Two examples that support these presumptions: Bolitho Blane was born in 1896, in the city of Hannover.
The register of the city of Hanover for birthes covering the matching time-period has been destroyed in the second World War. War damage or an intentional deed? After his birth Bolitho Blane was baptised evangelic, but the corresponding documents of the church register have been removed somehow. Coincidence? Unfortunately, no eye witnesses are living anymore, so we are dependent on information from second or even third hand, as well as hints that are reported to us by hearsay.
|As far as we know this picture has an authentical character.|
It shows Bolitho Blane on the left side in company with
Virginie Steffen and Joseph Kugener.
The photo was taken in 1940 in Luxembourg.
These are the updated results of our research:
- 1896: In a misty november night Bolitho Blane comes to birth in the district Vahrenwald of Hanover. Another authority places the setting to the city of Isernhagen which is nearby. We do not have any information about the origin of his father, he is said to have been a diplomatist or ambassador with the ability of speaking german, english, french, spanish and chinese fluently. His mother came from Scotland, presumable from the island of Islay. No wonder Bolitho Blane spoke english like his mother tongue. Besides he is said to have spoken french and chinese (mandarin?) fluently.
- Already as a little baby Bolitho Blane was baptised evangelic. The exact date of this event is unknown, very likely it has already taken place in november or at the beginning of december.
- After elementary school Bolitho Blane is said to have attended an international school. His following study works soon were interrupted by World War I.
- 1915: Bolitho Blane is engaged to the military service and stationed in Esch-sur-Alzette (Luxemburg). Later on he fought as a regular soldier on the german-french border.
- 1920 is the year when the prohibition came into force. As the production and distribution of alcohol was now forbidden by law Bolitho Blane became a big deal in whisky and cigarette smuggling. During that time Bolitho Blane shuttled between Scotland, Cologne and the Southwest of the United States. He was also seen on car racing circuits such as Brooklands and the Nürburgring. This is also the period when he is said to have taken part in several races with a Morgan 3-Wheeler and a Darmont on the Nürburgring as well as on some places in France.
- On the famous black Friday in 1929, Bolitho lost large parts of his fortune in the stock crash, but later on he once again came to wealth and modest riches. Towards the end of the prohibition he had already achieved a second profession as an industrialist in Great Britain.
- End of 1935 / beginnig of 1936: Bolitho Blane serves as a pattern for a novel hero in a mystery thriller called "Murder off Miami" written by Dennis Wheatley".
- On the 18th of april 1936, right before the book was published, Bolitho Blane disappeared without leaving a trace... Was he avoiding the eventual bustle? Was he afraid of something? Was he even hunted by the Mafia or the Cosa Nostra? We do not know about what happened.
- 1940: After four years there is a trace of Bolitho Blane at last: in spring he once again visited family Brandenburger, a relationship based on loosely friendship. It is that visit we owe the only authentic picture left of Bolitho Blane.
||This could be another photograph of Bolitho Blane (left side of the picture). The other persons on the picture are Elisabeth Kugener-Brandenburger and Marcel Brandenburger with their son Robert.|
Today, Robert Brandy is a successful, famous painter and artist living in Luxemburg. The photograph was taken in 1949 in Bertrange, Luxemburg.
This photo was only played in our hands shortly.
As we got told, it shows Bolitho Blane in a Morgan No 73.
The shot originates the year 1922 showing a race in Nimes, France.
Should you have any other knowledge about the life or person of Bolitho
Blane, we would be delighted if you contacted us: